Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thing #15: Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

After reading "Into a new world of librarianship I came to the realization that the way we interact with libraries and librarians is changing and will continue to change. How? It seems that librarians and in my case, teachers, have come to be more than ever collaborating to find technology and relevant content to reach our students. for me it means that I can use the librarian as a resource, a person that I can go to and say: we will be covering x topic can you help me find information. Together we can find the information for x content or technology uses to deliver that content more effectively and it does not necessarily mean me bringing my class to the library but perhaps bringing some laptops to the classroom to allow students to access the information.

While reading "Away from the icebergs" the thing that came to my mind was that we no longer really have to go to the library, the library can come to us. With the widespread use of the internet we have so much access to information and we no longer have to make a trip to the library. I always find myself going online and searching for what I am looking for. More over if there is a book I want, I try to find it online and buy it there and download it so I can read it. For me it means that I want to find more information online. For the librarian it means that they become a technology trainer in a way so that they can deliver more information to the library patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment